Whether it is domestic firm or multinational corporation, managing foreign currency is crucial. The appreciation and depreciation of foreign currency affects the firm’s profitability and liquidity. Therefore, an appreciation of how international trade, business, economic and political developments could impact the exchange rate movement is critical in business strategic planning and control. Therefore, managers and executives in all functions should understand how to interpret the exchange rate, understand how the exchange market works and introduce effective tools and techniques in managing foreign currencies.
1. Introduction of Foreign Exchange
- Why do firms go international ?
- Types of overseas operations
- Differences between domestic and multinational financial management
- Current development impacting foreign currencies
2. Currency Risk Management
- Financial strategies to guard against foreign currency depreciation
- Impact of changes in foreign exchange rates
- How to read and forecast foreign exchange rates
3. Interpreting Foreign Exchange Rates
- Spot rate
- Forward exchange rate
- Direct quote vs Indirect quote
- Differentiation between foreign currency appreciation and depreciation
- Bid and ask quotation
4. Arbitrage and Hedging
- Currency arbitrage
- Hedging strategies
This workshop uses practical exercises to demonstrate the interpretation of foreign exchange rate and determine the extent of currency appreciation and depreciation. Methods and techniques of managing foreign currency will be thoroughly discussed.
* Participants are to bring their own calculator for this workshop
Who Should Attend
Managers and executives who are new to how foreign exchange works but need to know the application of currency related techniques when making business decisions. Also, ideal as an in-house workshop where employees from various departments or divisions can utilise their respective information and operational data to develop a comprehensive set of interlinked foreign currency management and control within the organisation.
LIM KAIM SOON
CA(SINGAPORE), EMBA(HELSINKI), FCCA (UK), BBA (HONS), NUS
Lim Kaim Soon graduated from the National University of Singapore with a bachelor degree (honours) in Business Administration, majoring in finance and investment. He is also a fellow member of the Chartered Association of Certified Accountants, UK. He obtained his Executive MBA at the Helsinki School of Economics (now Aalto University), Finland.
Lim Kaim Soon also regularly conducts workshops, seminars, and in house trainings to management and staff of statutory boards and business corporations on financial and management accounting, corporate investment and financing, as well as corporate due diligence.
Fee Per Pax
(inclusive of GST)
22 January 2019 (Tue)
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
160 Robinson Road #06-01, SBF Center
SBF Member - $428
Non-Member - $535
Fee include course materials, lunch & tea breaks
Upon completion of the workshop, each participant will receive a certificate of attendance
- Please log on to https://login.sbf.org.sg/SBFPortal/Sign_In.aspx with your Username and Password to register. Please create an account for registration if you do not have an existing account with Singapore Business Federation (SBF)
- Upon registration, please make payment using credit card via the online payment platform. An auto e-acknowledgement and invoice will be sent to your registered email.
- No cancellation will be allowed upon registration, but attendance by a replacement delegate from your company is welcomed. Please notify SBF of the change at least 3 days’ notice prior to event to enable logistical arrangements for the replacement.
- Payments are required with registration and must be received prior the workshop to guarantee your place.
- Participants will only be admitted if payment/proof of payment has been received prior to the event or on event day.
- You will still be liable for the payment in the event of no-show on actual day of the event.
- SBF reserves the right to cancel or make any adjustments to the event.
1) Electronic Payment
Internet banking services with UOB or DBS via Billing Organization.
2) VISA/MASTERCARD Terminal
Payment can be made via our VISA/MasterCard terminal in our office
3) Cheque Payment
Please cross your cheque payable to Singapore Business Federation and mail it to 160 Robinson Rd #06-01, SBF Center, Singapore 068914
Indicate the Invoice number, Company and Participant name at the back of the cheque.
If you have registered less than 5 working days before the event date, please bring along the cheque on the day of workshop.
For more information, contact Josephine Lin at email@example.com l 6701 1131
Note : To safeguard the well-being of all participants, we advise members who are feeling unwell to refrain from attending the workshop.
All information, materials and related graphics contained herein and/or provided in the course of the training session(s) (hereinafter referred to as “Information and Materials”) are intended for informational and/or educational purposes only. The Singapore Business Federation does not claim ownership of any of the Information and Materials provided by the external training vendor(s). The information and Materials may from time to time include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors, and changes may be added periodically as may be necessary. Please note that photography, audio and video recording may occur during these events. All photography, audio and video recording may be used by Singapore Business Federation for education, marketing, promotional and/or publication purposes. If you do not wish to have your image recorded or published, for compelling and legitimate grounds relating to your particular situation, please inform our staff.